Monday, October 19, 2009

Nike Womens Half Marathon

This past weekend Mark and I ran the Nike Womens Half Marathon in San Francisco. We really had the greatest time! B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! We won last minute entries to this race! This was my first half marathon. I still dont have the official time but we came in at 2:48:00 ( according to my watch), we were shooting for 2:30:00 but it will do. We both went in with some injuries, but we were cruising along untill I had to go pee at mile 8 and the next bathroom wasnt at till mile 9! Going UPHILL it was hard to pick it back up , then the pain starting kicking in , then going into mile 10 was down a massive steep hill ... I walked :( The force on my knees was so painful I admit I had tears in my eyes. Once we leveled out we picked it back up. I slowed down for some water and out of pain , but last mile we were cruising again.
We crossed to finish line to a red carpet with hottie firemen ( I didnt know they were firemen till Mark told me , I thought they were all hired models) in tuxedos carrying a silver platter with our Tiffany & Co necklaces! Then hustled through to recieve our milk chocolate , water, bagel , kashi cereal/yogurt, and finishers T-shirt. Then we came to a halt where everyone was standing around , at that time all the muscles in my legs cramped up and in a herd of people I had to sit on the ground. I kept wondering how everyone around me was just chilling out not in the same amount of pain . Then again I was not really ready for this race, and exactly 12 weeks postpartum... no excuses though.
Other than the pain , we had a blast. At mile 5 I turned to Mark and said " This is the first time we have ran together alone for 2 years!" , plus it was the longest time we have spent alone since having Chloe.
Also we were so very lucky to get our first "family photo" the day before at the expo at Union Square Nike Town!
We truly had a happy day and are looking forward to our next half marathon in 4 weeks at the Big Sur Half!
Getting excited , on the shuttle to the starters line!


Tried to get down to pick up our pace bracelts , we got stuck like sardines! We didnt cross the starting line till 20 minutes after the race started! So many people.



These photos dont give justice to how big and beautiful Alcatraz looked. Plus I thought it didnt seem that far away from land, so Sean Connery from the Rock could have easily escaped.


The stretch tent... I was in a lot of pain there. It was the only place to sit down to even try and stretch , it was still pretty packed though.

It was all worth it ; scenic route, time with my love, cool finishers t-shirt and a Tiffany & Co necklace!

1 comment:

  1. Great job!! My husband is a maranthoner - I'm just a cheerleader!!

    He and little Harry did the LA Marathon and he does Boston and St. George usually.

    Like I said, I'm the support team!

    ReplyDelete